Polymer Technology Apprenticeship
Polymer Technology Apprenticeship
Progamme
70% of the time will be spent on the job and the remaining 30% in Athlone Institute of Technology (15 weeks/yr)

Bachelor of Science in Polymer Processing Technology

3 Year level 7 Bachelor of Science in Polymer Technology Apprenticeship Programme
Job profile: A Polymer Processing Engineer is responsible for the efficient set up and operation of polymer processing lines in the fields of Injection Moulding, Blow Moulding or Extrusion moulding for the production of plastic components relevant to industry standards.

They will have a strong technical aptitude of processing characteristics & parameters for a broad range of polymer materials; they will work cross-functionally with Production Team Leaders/Moulding Managers/Quality/Toolroom /Maintenance Department/ Material Suppliers & external customers to address machine, material, mould, die or tooling issues, including complex tooling assembly & breakdown.

Academic block release: 15 weeks per year.

2018 Summer intake: Apprenticeship contracts start in May 2018 for September 2018 academic block.

2018 Autumn intake: Apprenticeship contracts start in September 2018 for January 2019 academic block


Programme subjects

1
Year 1


Polymer Processing
Maths Engineering and Science
Workshop and Metrology
Materials
Computer & Communications
Quality & Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
Computer Aided Design (CAD) & Drawing
Industry Module

2
Year 2

Polymer Processing
Maths Engineering and Science
Workshop and Metrology
Materials
Quality & Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
Automation & Control
Computer Aided Design (CAD) & Drawing
Industry Module

3
Year 3

Polymer Processing
Maths Engineering and science
Workshop and Metrology
Materials
Computer & Communications
Automation & Control
Industry Module